Chief Financial Officer
Laurel University, a vibrant, independent, co-educational, non-denominational bible university invites applications and nominations for a collaborative and strategic leader to serve as Chief Financial Officer (CFO). Reporting directly to the President, this crucial position also has an important relationship with the Board of Trustees Finance Committee as a senior staff officer. Founded in 1903 and situated on 30 beautiful acres in High Point, North Carolina, Laurel University has 201 students and 18 full-time employees, operating under a two million dollar annual budget. The institution is currently accredited by the ABHE but intends to pursue regional accreditation in the next two years. The CFO will lead the efforts for candidacy financially.
Working in partnership with other college officers to implement the overall strategic plan of the University, the CFO oversees the financial operations of the University and provides leadership direction to the areas of facilities, budget, investments, auditing, accounts payable, financial aid and student billing.
The CFO is charged with improving the efficiency and effectiveness of campus operations and with facilitating the growth opportunities for Laurel. S/he will develop both short and long term financial plans, including the annual budget, to support university initiatives; provide primary oversight of funding for capital improvement projects and deferred maintenance; supervise the endowment and line of credit funds; work collaboratively with, and represent the University’s interest to both internal and external constituent and regulatory groups as well as Board Finance Committee members; and foster an atmosphere of compliance, superior customer service, productivity and cooperation.
The CFO will partner with the President to actively and creatively ensure funding and administrative solutions to support the academic mission of the school. The CFO assists, supports, leads and partners with others for strategies to attract and retain students in a competitive, enrollment-driven market and to maximize net tuition revenues. As the senior staff officer, the CFO has contact with students everyday as part of the main responsibilities for the position.
The successful candidate will demonstrate unquestioned integrity and a strong personal work ethic while being self-motivated and results-oriented; have several years of experience preferably in a non-profit or academic environment; possess strong and effective interpersonal skills that engender trust and cultivate collaboration; and have experience with hands-on financial management requiring daily close supervision and problem solving. The preferred candidate will have at least five years of experience in a regionally accredited school, substantial financial, administrative and operational experience, preferably in higher education. Relevant advanced degrees from regionally accredited colleges, such as MBA and/or CPA are desirable. This is a “small shop” requiring a person that loves people, engagement, problem-solving and open door leadership. Most important to the successful candidate will be the institutional and presidential fit. Proper credentials could open faculty status as an option. Laurel University is a 111 year old bible university dedicated to living as devout Christians and serving as examples of God’s Word.
Laurel University is an interdenominational Christian university, which teaches the fundamental doctrines of evangelical Christianity. Laurel University operates in accordance with the following beliefs:
1. We believe that there is one living and true God, an eternally existent spiritual Being of absolute knowledge, power and goodness; Creator and Preserver of all things visible and invisible; that in the unity of the Godhead there are three persons of one substance, power, and eternity, who are Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
2. We believe that Jesus Christ is the second person of the triune Godhead; that He is eternally of one substance with the Father; that He became incarnated by the Holy Spirit and was born of the Virgin Mary, thus uniting in one perfect nature Godhood and manhood, very God and very man – the God-man, Jesus Christ.
3. We believe in the personality and deity of the Holy Spirit; that He did proceed from the Father and the Son, and is the third person of the triune Godhead, of one substance, power, and eternity with them/ that He is present with and active in the Church, convicting the whole world of sin and righteousness and judgment.
4. We believe that the sixty-six books of the Old and New Testament, which the Church has universally accepted as the Holy Scriptures, were given by divine inspiration and constitute the revealed and infallible Word of God as the only supreme, sufficient, and authoritative rule of faith and practice. We believe that the Holy Spirit who motivated men of God to speak through the written word has providentially guarded the integrity of the message and continues to illumine the hearts of those who read, that they may understand God’s redemptive plan.
5. We believe that man was a special creation by God but that he forfeited his first estate and is very far fallen from original righteousness; and because of the corruption of his nature as received from Adam, he is inclined to evil and that continually.
6. We believe that Jesus Christ died for our sins. By the shedding of His blood, He made atonement for the sins of all mankind; this atonement is the only ground of salvation. We believe in Christ’s bodily resurrection from the dead; He ascended into Heaven, to the right hand of the Father and is there engaged in intercession for us.
7. We believe that penitent sinners are justified before God only by faith in Jesus Christ; at the same time, they are regenerated and adopted into the household of faith, the Holy Spirit bearing witness with their spirit to this gracious work. This is sometimes called implicit or initial sanctification.
8. We believe that entire sanctification is that act of God by which believers are made free from original sin and brought into a state of complete devotion to God. We further believe that this work is accomplished by baptism with the Holy Spirit, Who bears witness. We also believe that while the approach to this state may be more or less gradual, the actual experience of entire sanctification is consummated in an instant and the life that follows should experience the fullness of the Holy Spirit and a continual maturing of the Christian graces.
9. We believe that Christians are called to be holy in all manner of living so that any conduct contrary to this rule of Scripture is not only repugnant but is also inconsistent with a true Christian profession.
10. We believe in the holy universal Church; that it is composed of all true believers in Jesus Christ, regardless of race, creed, sex, or national origin; that it is for the maintenance of worship, the edification of believers, and the proclamation of the Gospel to the whole world.
11. We believe in the imminent, personal return of Jesus Christ to this world to establish His kingdom, to rule in righteousness, and to judge all people.
12. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the dead; that the bodies of the just and unjust shall be reunited with their spirits; that everlasting life is assured to all who believe in and follow Jesus Christ, and the finally impenitent shall go away into everlasting punishment in hell.
The search is underway and will continue until the position is filled. January 1, 2015 is the target start date. Salary range for this position is $60,000-$70,000 per year and includes benefits. To ensure consideration for this position, please send a resume, letter of interest and five references to:
Executive Director of Human Resources
1215 Eastchester Drive
High Point, NC 27265
LAUREL UNIVERSITY1215 Eastchester Drive
High Point, NC 27265
Toll Free: 855-LAURELU